Cox's Stack is an 85m (282 ft) high chimney in the Lochee area of the city and one of the remaining relics of Dundee's once buoyant jute industry. It was constructed in 1866 and formed part of the Cox Brothers' Camperdown Works, one of the largest jute factories of its time. Modelled on an Italian campanile, the Stack was designed by local architect James MacLaren.
A mercat cross is an old market cross found in Scottish towns and cities where merchants would gather. They became focal points for local gatherings. Dundee's Mercat Cross dates back to 1586, is carved from stone and features a resin-bronze unicorn sculpted by Scott Sutherland in the 1960s.
The Tay Estuary is straddled by two significant examples of structural engineering - the Tay Rail and Ray Road bridges.The Tay Rail Bridge was completed in 1887 and sweeps across the estuary carrying rail traffic between Dundee and neighbouring Fife.It replaced the original crossing which collapsed...