A mercat cross is an old market cross found in Scottish towns and cities where merchants would gather. They became focal points for local gatherings. Dundee's Mercat Cross dates back to 1586, is carved from stone and features a resin-bronze unicorn sculpted by Scott Sutherland in the 1960s.
Mercat Cross and Old Steeple
The Howff is the name given to the historic graveyard that lies on the south of Meadowside in Dundee. It occupies the garden of the former Greyfriars monastery, which was founded by Devorgilla Balliol in the 13th Century. The monastery was destroyed in 1548 and Mary Queen of Scots gifted the land to Dundee.
The main parkland area in the central waterfront is Slessor Gardens, Over 10,000sqm this green space is designed to be a multi-functional space with capacity to host large events.
Located around the perimeter are nine themed gardens.