Claypotts Castle

Claypotts Castle was built by John Strachan between 1569 and 1588, and later owned by ‘Bonnie Dundee', John Graham of Claverhouse. Standing at the northeastern edge of Dundee, the Castle was inhabited into the 19th Century. The castle's architecture is still intact and has hardly been altered over the years.  Entry to the castle is available by apointment.

Cox's Stack

Cox's Stack is an 85m (282 ft) high chimney in the Lochee area of the city and one of the remaining relics of Dundee's once buoyant jute industry. It was constructed in 1866 and formed part of the Cox Brothers' Camperdown Works, one of the largest jute factories of its time. Modelled on an Italian campanile, the Stack was designed by local architect James MacLaren.

Dudhope Castle

This extended late-medieval tower house is located on the southern face of The Law and was built in the late 13th century by the Scrymageour family. The castle was redeveloped between 1985 and 1988, and is now in use as offices and a conference centre as well as housing the University of Abertay's Dundee Business School.

Special Events

Dundee’s main attractions run a varied programme of special events, entertainment and talks throughout the year. Check out individual websites for details and download the Dundee App to access up-to-the minute WHAT’S ON information on your smartphone or i-pad.   

 

The Howff

The Howff is the name given to the historic graveyard that lies on the south of Meadowside in Dundee. It occupies the garden of the former Greyfriars monastery, which was founded by Devorgilla Balliol in the 13th Century. The monastery was destroyed in 1548 and Mary Queen of Scots gifted the land to Dundee. 

The Magdalen Green Band Stand

The bandstand was built in 1890 and is an iconic Dundee image, immortalised by the paintings of James McIntosh Patrick (1907-1998).

You can just catch the Tay Rail Bridge to the left of the bandstand and the distant Fife skyline.

The ornate bandstand plays host to Sunday performances by brass bands during the summer months.

Mains Castle

Mains Castle is a medieval castle thought to have been built around 1562 by Sir David Graham. Restored in the early 80s, it's now a restaurant and Bar and is a popular wedding location.

Meadow Mill Studios

Wasps Studios started its life in Dundee in 1977 and has grown to provide studios for creative people across Scotland. Located in Meadow Mill, an historic jute mill which they have occupied since 1989, they successfully redeveloped the studios in 2012. The Mill now provides 58 high quality studios for up to 100 artists and makers working across varying disciplines.

It also houses a...

Mercat Cross and Old Steeple

A mercat cross is an old market cross found in Scottish towns and cities where merchants would gather. They became focal points for local gatherings. Dundee's Mercat Cross dates back to 1586, is carved from stone and features a resin-bronze unicorn sculpted by Scott Sutherland in the 1960s.

Maggie's Centre

Maggie's Dundee is a cancer care centre located at Ninewells Hospital in Dundee.

It was Gehry's first building in the UK and has been awarded a ‘Building of the Year' title by the Royal Fine Art Commission for Scotland.

The Centre is open to the public on the last Tuesday of every month from 4pm.

Visitors have an hour long tour of the building which includes information...

Pages